If you live in a mobile home or have an RV, then you know that your water can be pretty hard.
This hardness can cause all sorts of problems, from scaling on your fixtures and appliances to clogging up your water pipes.
So, it would be best if you had the perfect water softener specifically designed for your mobile home and RV.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the best water softeners for mobile home RVs and help you decide which one is right for you and why.
We’ll also talk about some of the benefits and how they can improve your quality of life.
So, keep reading to get the answer to all of your questions.
7 Best Water Softener Systems for Mobile Home and RV 2022
- Portable RV Water Softener
- On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain
- Clearsource Premium RV Water Filter System
- Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 Portable Water Softener
- Mobile-Soft-Water Portable 16,000 Grain ™ Unit
- On The Go OTG3NTP3M Portable Water Softener
- On The Go OTG4-StdSoft-Portable RV Water Softener
1. Portable RV is the best water softener system for well water
It is the best water softener for mobile homes and RVs with a 16,000-grain capacity and a powerful flow of 3/4″.
It makes the unit perfect for both your home and gives an ample supply of softened water in your RV.
The large 10-3/8″ base ensures the unit is stable on any surface. Additionally, the unit has high flow ports with a 5 GPM capacity.
It means you won’t lose water pressure when using the unit. The best part is its quick regeneration time of only 30 minutes.
You have to put some salt into the unit and activate it. The entire process of softening your water takes about 30 minutes or less.
- 10 inches x 19.5 inches weighing 15 lbs.
- 16,000-grain capacity provides up to 40 days (2,000 gallons) of softened water depending on your hardness and usage.
- 5 GPM flow and 3/4″ high flow ports provide minimal pressure.
- Built tough with a 16 inner shell made of high-grade Polyethylene, the unit has 3/4″ female in/out garden hose ports for easy connection.
- Uses sodium chloride (table salt) to regenerate. It comes with a female to female adapter for water pressure washers
- Quick Regenerates process in under 30 minutes.
2. On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT best water softener as consumer reports
On the Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain, RV water softener is best for small spaces in the mobile home.
This unit comes from one of the leading brands on the market.
The hard water problem is a thing of the past as this unit offers you up to an overwhelming 1600 gallons of softened water quality or pure water supply of up to 40 days.
The unit is designed to fit the tight spaces in your mobile home or RV. It does not require any tools or electricity and can be installed within minutes.
- Produces up to 1600 gallons
- Provides quality water supply of up to 40 days
- Designed for hard water problems
- Easily installed
- No tools or electricity required
- Space saver design with easy access to remove the cartridge.
3. Clearsource Premium best water softener and filter system
Clearsource is a high-performance water filter, but it has a low price.
That makes it perfect for individuals on the lookout for safe drinking while on the road.
The portable water softening system uses two filters to remove unsafe and unwanted contaminants.
The sediment filter with a pore size of 1 micron effectively removes debris and sediment particles.
The carbon filter with a pore size of 0.5 microns removes chlorine and certain pesticides.
Clearsource uses a durable tank system to provide a continuous supply of filtered drinking water from the in-line filtration system.
The components of the Clearsource in-line filtration system are manufactured with corrosion-resistant material to ensure that the product is durable enough to withstand harsh elements.
- Clearsource uses two filters – a 5-micron sediment filter and a 0.2-micron absolute charcoal water filter – to provide clean drinking water.
- The in-line filtration system has a built-in stand ideal for freestanding use, especially during traveling.
- Safer water treatment than other systems
- The filters are more efficient at removing contaminants than the standard micron rating.
- CLEARSOURCE is an industry leader and has been widely tested and accepted by many consumers.
4. Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 portable RV water softener
Watts RV PRO is to all those out there who need a hard water softener but are looking to save some money in the process.
This little sleeper is an ideal choice because it has all the features you’ll find in these higher-priced units but at a fraction of the price.
For instance, this unit can make up to 1,000 gallons of useable water for every regeneration it completes.
The softener is perfect for RVs, campers, and boats because it is lightweight and easy to install.
- Effective regeneration of 55% more capacity
- Comes with a built-in drain line flow restrictor for more effective regeneration
- Regeneration is quiet with no leakage
- All regeneration instructions salt and resin usage charts are printed right on the control box for your convenience.
- It has the lowest operating cost of any portable RV water softener system in the market.
- Primary Benefit: This unit provides a quick, simple and effective solution to water softening.
- It works on almost any machine, boat, or vehicle out there.
- It is lightweight and easy to carry or install.
5. Mobile-Soft-Water softener for a mobile home, Portable 16,000 Grain ™
While you are on a trip, it is generally not a good idea to have hard water. Nowadays, the trend has turned towards soft water for this reason.
This perfect Portable water softener unit is the right addition to your RVs and campsites.
You don’t need to use hard water when you’re on a trip. You can clean your utensils and take a nice shower in soft water.
If you have this Unit, your camping trip will be a breeze. The best thing is that this unit doesn’t need electricity to regenerate. It is very mobile and easy to use, too.
- Best for mobile homes, Rv & Car Wash Applications.
- Regenerates Without Electricity
- It Is Mobile
- Easy to Use
- It Is Easy To Regenerate.
- One Year Limited Warranty On Materials.
- 5 GPM of clean water supply.
- Half (1/2) Cubic Feet Of Softener Resin Loaded Into the brine tank.
6. On The Go OTG3NTP3M best portable water softener
If you want the best portable water softener that will provide fresh, clean, tasty water quality for your RV, then this is another excellent option that you should look into.
I am glad to write about it as I managed to see that it is mainly designed to be very easy to use while also supplying you with the option of using soft water for 7 to 14 days at a time.
One of the most important things is to know. You can use it in different situations, and you will benefit from having a small and compact design, making it lightweight and portable.
It is also worth mentioning that this softener from On the Go can remove excessive salt from water, promising you to enjoy having a soft water treatment, ideal for washing your clothes or dishes.
This water softening unit is designed to be very easy to use, and it has a small and compact design.
- It can produce 320 to 800 gallons of freshwater.
- It can remove hardness for up to 20 days.
- There is a special indicator that will let you know when to regenerate.
- The softener has a comfortable handle for easy carry.
- It is lightweight and compact, making it portable and easy to use.
- The hardness test strips are included.
- The design is space-saving, and it has a good size.
- It is very easy to use, and the instruction manual will provide you with all of the information you need to know about using it.
7. On The Go OTG4-StdSoft 8,000 grain portable RV water softener
The Go OTG4-StdSoft Portable 8K water softener is a must-have for your RV, boat, and other recreational vehicles.
While traveling, the RV is constantly bombarded with hard tap water, leading to scaling and rust in your appliance, making appliances inoperable.
This best model has an 8,000-grain capacity and is perfect for RV owners, mobile homes, and campers.
It comes in a compact size and an easy-to-carry handle is just a few of its best parts.
Preventing rust and scale-buildup on boats and RVs is a no-sweat job of this water softener system.
- Compact size – Lighter weight for easy storage
- Fast Regeneration Time: Less than 15 minutes, no electricity required
- Easy installation, No Tools required for hookup.
- High Capacity: 8,000-grain capacity is perfect for RV.
- Compact, 6.75″ X 22″, lightweight, portable design that fits into tight storage compartments
- Simple to use – Connect a garden hose and turn on the water
- No electricity is required for regeneration, low operating costs
What is a Portable Water Softener?
Portable softeners are compact water treatment systems for mobile homes that reduce the water’s hardness.
The unit uses 50-100 gallons (200-400 liters) of circulated water per regeneration.
Their design is based on a conventional water softener but uses a self-contained reservoir filled with brine solution for desalinization.
The softener uses a timer to control the regeneration cycle, which flushes out concentrated brine and restores softness.
They are perfect for mobile homes, RVs, or temporary relocation situations.
The unit will soften water up to 50 gallons a day, depending on the degree of hardness and amount of water.
Types of Portable Water Softeners
Ion Exchange water softener
Ion exchange or salt-based water softener removes calcium and magnesium ions from hard water through an ion-exchange process.
The water softener exchanges the calcium and magnesium (Mg) ions in hard water for sodium (Na) ions through an ion-exchange resin bed.
Then, the hard minerals attach to the resin through ionic attraction, and the sodium ions are exchanged for these minerals by displacement.
The water then passes through a selective membrane that blocks sodium while allowing calcium and magnesium to continue with the water flow.
It provides softened water for about 18 to 24 cents per 1000 gallons.
Salt-free water softener:
The Salt-free water softener is a device to soften water without salt.
It does so by adding calcium and magnesium ions to the water through an ion-exchange process at point-of-use.
The calcium and magnesium ions in hard water precipitate as scale, leaving soft water behind.
Note: This device only functions properly if the feedwater is already “hard,” generally meaning it contains at least 100 ppm (mg/L) of calcium and magnesium ions.
The Salt-free Water Softener consists of a cation exchange resin bed in which calcium and magnesium ions in the water exchange for sodium mineral ions (table salt).
The calcium and magnesium in the softened water precipitate out as scale, leaving soft water behind.
Magnetic Descalers softener:
The magnetic water softener promises to solve your hard water problems without adding chemicals, salt, or potassium.
The makers claim that the inside of the Magnetic Descaler contains hundreds of thousands of tiny magnetic particles.
It works to clean the hard water, which then flows through your home appliances and plumbing fixtures.
The Magnetic Descaler claims to soften your water by replacing the large calcium particles with tiny magnetic particles that your appliances do not detect.
According to the article, a few “hundred dollars” worth of use will last up to 7 years.
Reverse Osmosis system
Reverse osmosis is a technique used to purify water by increasing its purity.
It uses pressure to force pure water through a semi-permeable material that retains impurities.
The RO can remove contaminants from water when ordinary distillation, deionization, and activated carbon filtration are not feasible.
It has a few different water treatment stages, depending on the intended use of the produced water.
A Reverse Osmosis system is a good purification method because it can remove up to 99% of certain contaminants from water.
It includes most mineral ions and molecules, as well as larger particles.
What to Look for When Buying Water Softener for Mobile Home?
Water hardness level
Before you buy a water softener for a mobile home, you need to know the water hardness level.
Hard minerals level is either high or low and affects the water used.
Highly hard water needs to be softened, while low water hardness has no effects.
Before selecting the water softening system type and size, you must know the hardness level.
Before buying a water softener for a mobile home, you need to know what type of system would match your needs.
The type of system depends on the hardness level of water, size of the home, and general needs.
Types include Salt-free and salt-based systems manual and automatic regenerated systems.
You need to know how much water your family uses, the hardness level of water used in the home, and general needs.
The water softener’s size depends on your water usage and its hardness level.
The size of the home determines how much water is used in a day and, therefore, how many gallons of water is used.
To select the best size for your home, make sure to collect all details about the size of your home, its average water usage per day or month, and the hardness level of water.
Grain capacity is defined as “the amount of water that it can soften.”
The best grain capacity for a softener depends on the hardness level of water.
If the water hardness is high, buy a system with higher grain capacity and vice versa.
Before buying a water softener for your RV and mobile home, it is essential to know the grain capacity of your softener.
Some water Softeners for mobile homes come with built-in features such as:
Salt level indicator: This shows you when to refill salt in a water softener.
Softener Bypass valve: This allows water flow even when the system regenerates. Manufacturers use a separate bypass valve for additional safety.
Drain cleaning filter: Keeps your drain clean and prevents clogging.
Maintenance port: Helps you to maintain the system easily.
All these features are very useful, but you need to check your system specifications before buying.
Flow rate is defined as the amount of water your system can deliver in a minute.
When you buy a water Softener for a mobile home, you need to check your softener’s flow rate.
If you have high water usage, you will need a system with a higher flow rate and vice versa.
Please select the best product from our list of the best water softeners for a mobile home as per your budget and size.
Installation & Maintenance
If you are planning to get a perfect water Softener for a mobile home, you need to find out if the system is easy to install or not.
If it is easy to install, you will have an easier time maintaining it.
You also need to know about the system’s maintenance needs so that you can choose between salt-based or salt-free systems.
Salt-based water softeners need more maintenance than salt-free systems. Salt is the main ingredient of salt-based softeners.
If you are not comfortable with the maintenance, go for a salt-free system.
What size water softener should I get for my mobile home?
To decide which size of the softener you need, you should find out how much your household uses.
And then, you can choose from various capacities to find the one that matches your water use.
To determine how much water you typically consume, take a look at your past months’ water bills.
Many mobile home water softener brands range from about 1,300 to 8,000 grains. It is a good choice for a family of three to five people.
If you have a family of four, a 5,000-grain capacity is a standard size that can be used efficiently if the water is not too hard.
In this case, a 7,000-grain water softener is the best option for you.
If you have a family of five or more people, you should consider getting a 10,000-grains softener.
Like the 7,000-grain capacity, this type also has very good performance and is considered the best.
Where to install a water softener in a mobile home?
When you have a mobile home or RV, it can be difficult to find space for a softener.
To avoid the hassle of finding the right place to put your unit, you might be interested in buying a portable RV water softener.
If you wonder where to install a water softener system in a mobile home, here is a quick rundown of some available options.
No matter what type of softener you have, if it is a traditional style, you will need to choose between in-line under-the-counter for water softener installation.
For in-line, you would place the unit directly after your meter. That means you should install at least a ¾ inch drain line to the unit.
It should also be between 5-10 feet away from your main water line.
You can also install your unit under the counter, making it a point of use machine, as long as you have about 3 inches of vertical space at the point where you plan to install your unit.
A traditional water softener installation will require a bit of work and a little bit of money.
If you’re not up to the task, consider buying a portable RV water softener.
It is most important to get the perfect water softener for a mobile home or RVs. It will make your life easier.
When deciding which one to buy, consider the amount of water your household generally uses, the cost of softener you are willing to spend on, and the ease of installation.
And once you have made up your mind on the type of water softener for your mobile home, it is time to go looking for a good deal.