Are you having trouble with hard water issues but unable to install a softener due to lack of enough space?
If you’d like to get numerous benefits of soft water without making significant changes in the home, you should select the best water softener for small spaces.
Now another big trouble in front of you to search for the perfect one. Do not worry; we’ve done it and came with 9 compact softeners ideal for smaller spaces of homes and apartments.
So whether you’re a renter looking for a compact option or you need a small unit to soften up you’re well water supply, Read on to learn more.
9 best water softener for small spaces and houses?
- Whirlpool WHES30E 30,000 Grain Softener
- On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain
- Aquasure Harmony Series 48,000 Grains Water Softener
- 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filter
- Portable RV Water Softener
- GE GXSF30V Water Soften
- Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Water Softener
- Tier1 48,000 Grain Whole House Water Softener System
- Mobile-Soft-Water Portable 16,000 Grain ™ Unit
1. Whirlpool WHES30E 30,000 Grain Softener
Whirlpool’s best water softener for apartments and ideal for 1-4 plus people in the household.
This water conditioner removes up to 8ppm of clear water free from iron, and hard minerals.
The Whirlpool comes with NSF certified water softening system that reduces hard water symptoms such as embarrassing stains build-up on your plumbing, faucets, and hard water minerals.
It calculates how much water purification is required to regenerate and only uses what is necessary, resulting in water saving.
The softener uses automated water treatment for maximum salt and water saving.
- It is NSF-certified to reduce the most common water problems
- Designed with a 3/4″ inch inlet having 1-inch thread
- It comes standard with a 1-year parts and labor warranty plus 3 years electronics and 10 years limited tanks warranty.
- Whirlpool water softeners work on city water or well water.
- 30000-grain capacity and 8 ppm of clear water (ferrous) iron filter.
2. On The Go OTG4 Portable RV Water Softener for small spaces
On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable, RV Water Softener is an excellent choice for those who have small spaces.
The small water softener for a shower, apartment, small house, and RV always needs soft water for laundry, dishes, or other purposes.
It can regenerate fast and provide high production of soft water.
It comes with easy to carry handle on top, a large mouth opening for salt addition, and a built-in hose connection to save you time.
Water softener installation is fast and straightforward. It has a high-quality materials body, which ensures durability and long service.
- 16,000 Grain
- Regeneration with 2 boxes of salt in less than 30 minutes
- High flow rate and shallow water pressure drop
- Large handle and lid opening for easy salt addition
- High-grade resin, built for quick and simple flow regeneration
- It has the standard connection between the park faucet and RV/Marine
- No tools or electricity required for installation
- A compact water softener is the perfect space-saver design for homes
- Travel-friendly system of a cap to prevent water leakage
3. Aquasure Harmony Series 48,000 Perfect Water Softener
The Aquasure Harmony Series 48,000 grains best water softener with a high efficiency digital metered control head is the best choice for condo owners, city-dwelling renters, and apartment small spaces.
Sized for 1 to 2 bedrooms, the Aquasure Harmony has an impressive salt capacity that will meet your needs every day.
This small unit also features a large resin tank that ensures you get maximum life from your resin beads.
The highly efficient Metered Control Head comes equipped with a microprocessor-controlled system designed to provide years of service without any required adjustments.
It is simple to use and easy to install, with no electrical wiring required. You will not regret it!
- Reduces water dissolved minerals and eliminates scale spot build-up for the entire home.
- Water treatment with 48,000 Grains by removing skin-damaging hard minerals like iron and magnesium mineral that clog up the skin pore and cause irritation.
- It has Digital Meter within and out bypass, 1″ NPT Male Adapter, and pre-filled resin.
- Featured: time-delayed, metered, manual double backwash for optimum regeneration, cleaning, and performance.
- Aquasure water filtration system is portable for quick installation simple to connect.
- It comes with an easy-to-read manual that makes installation, maintenance, and service easy to understand.
- Operating the Aquasure Water Softener is easy as it features a digital control head with a digital LED meter.
- It can regenerate on a time clock, immediate regeneration via the turn of a knob, or delayed regeneration by backwashing the brine tank to drain the excessively hard water.
4. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary
3M Aqua-Pure is a topwater purification system manufactured by 3M Company that reduces chlorine taste and odor, sediment, dirt, and rust.
It is entirely safe for household plumbing systems and septic tanks.
It is a small portable pelican water system that may need faucet drilling, which is very simple and not expensive.
This product is very versatile and therefore can be used in most homes. It is easy to install, with just one-inch inlets and outlets.
This product is an excellent choice because it has a very high capacity and does not need a frequent water filter change.
The softener can provide up to a 20 GPM flow rate, which is very useful in homes with high water pressure demands.
This model has a corrosion-resistant material that provides long service life.
3M Aqua-Pure is currently being used in over 7 million homes worldwide, and it always meets the highest level of water quality standards.
- Removes sediment, hard minerals as well as chlorine taste and odor
- Sanitary Quick Change design makes water filter change-outs easy without the need for a filter wrench
- Reduces chlorine taste and odor, sediment, dirt, and rust for fresh-tasting water
- 100,000-gallon capacity
- 5-micron nominal rating
- Flow rate: 1-inch inlet and outlet connections to help to plumb professionals with easy water softener installation in small spaces and peak rates up to 20 GPM
- The system has a 304 stainless steelhead
- NSF standard 42 certified
- Ideal for larger homes
- Easy installation
- Up to 20 GPM capacity at peak flow
5. Portable RV Water Softener Perfect for Small Houses And Spaces
If you like to go on nature trails, explore forests, and camp around the country, this portable water softener is for you.
It is one of the best water softener systems for RV’s, boats, trailers, mobile car washings, small spaces, and more.
The system is also great for commercial, industrial, and residential use.
The filter will provide you with softened water for up to forty days (2,000 gallons) without having to regenerate the system, which is a significant advantage.
The size of the softener system is 10″ x 19.5″, so it won’t take up much space and will be easy to transport.
It is the perfect option for the value of money, and it will provide you with smooth and soft water for an excellent washing experience.
- Premium rough service design for industrial applications
- The faucet adapter included connecting with your faucet
- Effective 16,000 grains capacity
- Fast regeneration; under 30 min. (2 boxes of salt)
- Will produce soft water for up to 40 days (2000 gallons)
- Ultra-compact water softener size; about 10″ x 19.5″
- It uses table salt to regenerate, so you won’t have to purchase chemical or potassium pellets
- Comes with garden hose adapters and accessories kit
6. GE GXSF30V Water Softener, with 30,400 Grain capacity
The GE 30,400-Grain Water Softener System enhances the water quality throughout your home for cleaner dishes, less water-heater scale build-up, and potential energy savings.
This system even adapts to your usage patterns to help ensure you have soft water when you need it.
Power Electronic Rating 24V; 60Hz (Hertz ) or 50Hz with 1-year limited warranty.
This softener is for houses with up to 4 bathrooms, and the capacity is 30,400 grains.
This water softener is an excellent choice for people looking for a functional yet compact for small spaces.
It is available in various sizes and can be adapted to fit your home.
- Electronic Controls is easy to use with a status light indicator
- Available in Gray color and a one-year warranty.
- Grain Capacity – 30,400
- Exclusive Days to Empty – Makes sure you never have to guess when to refill the salt in the brine tank.
- Water Usage – Uses up to 20% less water (based on internal analysis versus GE conventional water softeners manufactured before 2009)
- Plumbing Connections of 1″
- Size: 22.44 x 14.44 x 43.25 inches with 81 pounds weight.
7. Watts RV PRO-1000 OR M7002 Portable Water Softener for Small House
If you are looking for the best water softener to use in a small space, this Watts RV Pro-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Softener is ideal.
This water softening unit processes up to 10,000 grains of hardness per regeneration cycle.
For added convenience, it features an electronic control system that notifies you if the resin bed needs to be regenerated or a leak in the softener.
This lightweight device produces up to 4 gallons of softened water per minute.
The attractive chrome accents and sleek control panel make this a modern addition to any household.
It is an excellent performance softener and easy to use.
For those who need a portable small water softener for a shower, apartment, small houses, or hotel rooms, this Watts RV Pro-1000 OR M7002 10000 Grains Portable Softener is an excellent option.
- perfect for tiny houses or hotel rooms
- up to 4 gallons of softened water per minute
- produces up to 10,000 grains of water hardness per regeneration cycle
- custom-designed flow valves
- easy to use electronic control system for notifications on resin bed needs to be regenerated and if there is a leak in the water conditioner.
- High flow rate
- Ultra-compact water softener size is 22 x 10 x 10 inches and 9 pounds weight.
8. Tier1 48,000 Grain Whole House Water Softener System
Tier1 48,000 is a great water softener for those who need a system with the great softening capacity and a perfect fit in small spaces.
It’s a 48,000 grain capacity with 2500 gallons per regen and can produce up to 11.2 gallons of soft water per minute.
It is perfect for small homes and apartments that need an excellent solution for their hard water problems.
Also, Tier1 48,000 has a control display for easy system adjustment.
It is perfect for small homes, RVs, and apartments with a good capacity.
It is also adjustable to provide the needed amount of soft water for your needs.
This system is compact and lightweight. It also has a smaller salt capacity which means you can fill the brine tank up less frequently.
It is an excellent system for those who live in small spaces and don’t want to deal with bulky and heavy products.
- 48,000 Grain Capacity
- Digital Meter Head Control Valve
- Complete Water Softener System with 1.5 cubic feet of Cation Resin
- Scale Reduction
- Space and water-saving design
- Whole House Performance
- It is a perfect solution for those who own tiny home RVs.
- The product is small and lightweight, which means you can still use it if the space is limited.
- The control display allows for easy adjustment of the system.
9. Mobile-Soft-Water Portable 16,000 Grain
The Mobile-Soft-Water Portable Unit is specially designed for RVs, mobile homes, and Carwash applications.
This unit can change water softeners usually fixed into a house or an office to portable ones.
It is effortless for people who experience difficulties carrying the unit, and you don’t have to deal with plumbing lines.
You can install this indoor and outdoor softener in minutes, and it can also connect to our tankless water heater, which you can purchase as an option.
It is the only water filtration system installed within minutes and doesn’t need to be fixed in one place.
- A garden hose inlet connection with male Nylon (lead-free) connector
- A garden hose outlet connection with male Nylon (lead-free) connector
- 1/2 cubic feet of highly charged high capacity resin
- Designed for 150 psi operating pressure.
- Suitable for: Carwash and homeowners who don’t want to install a big unit in their house.
- Available in size 10 x 10 x 21.63 inches and weight 33 pounds.
Buying Guide of Best Water Softener For Small Spaces
Test the water hardness level
The first thing you should do before any purchase tests your water’s hardness minerals.
The easiest way to do this is to purchase a hard water testing kit from your local hardware store.
It should cost between $20 and $30, but well worth the money to ensure you purchase a softener sized adequately for your needs!
The waste of time and money would be to buy a large unit only to find out it can’t handle all the water because your water hardness level is too low.
So, it is most important to know about the hardness level.
Consider the Size
The size of your home, the amount of water used daily, and how much space is available are factors that play into which unit you will purchase.
If you have a large family of 5 or more, the size 20-inch by 48-inch or more extensive may be an option for you.
If your family is smaller, you may want the size 10-inch by 21-inch or even an 8-inch by 20-inch.
They are both smaller units, but sometimes the area you have to place it in is small, so this may be a good option for you.
You will need to know your daily water usage as well.
Look Over Your Budget: Consider
Your budget plays an essential part in your purchase decision.
The initial cost, the system also incurs a high price over time in salt and electricity or water.
Before purchasing a water softener, consider your budget and how much you can afford to spend on it in the short term and, over a long time, even consider compatibility in your small spaces.
Hard water softeners can be costly, but salt and electricity typically increase the operational cost per year.
It ranges in price from $23 to $300 for a conventional softener; however, high-capacity units can cost as much as $900 or more.
Features to Look at Before Selecting a Compact Softener
Salt-Based or Salt-Free
Both types of machines will help soften your water, but they do so in different ways and with different results.
A salt-based system does not require electricity, but you must replenish the salt regularly.
A salt-free system uses a resin that requires electricity to regenerate – if you have hard water, you may need to replace this resin more often.
If space is an issue in your home, compact models with dimensions of only 11.7″ x 9.6″ x 27.5″ are available for under $200.
If you have enough space, you may want to consider a larger capacity model.
Capacity is measured in grains and ranges from 40 to over 100; the more significant the ability, the more pelican water softens each cycle.
Consider a unit with higher water softening capacity if you have a large household or use many appliances that require softened water.
Otherwise, smaller models will work for most homes.
Water Flow Rate
The water flow rate measures gallons per minute.
The higher the flow rate, the more hard water can be processed through your system each minute, and the fewer cycles you will have to run to soften water for your entire home.
A unit with a flow rate of 1 to 4 gallons per minute will operate in most homes, but be sure to check your water flow rate before you buy.
Salt-based systems require the salt to be replaced every few months but can last even longer if your water contains less than 100 grains per gallon.
Salt-free systems do not use salt and do not require replacement.
Some water softeners can last up to five or six years before necessary replacement.
If you have a softener already, consider buying replacement parts to save money.
Some models allow you to wash your laundry in softened water, making removing dirt, dissolved minerals, and stains easier.
Many systems include valves connected to the hot and cold water supply lines, which allow you to control the water flow in your home.
If you have a large family or a home with many occupants, consider a system with an indicator light.
An indicator light will tell you when it’s time to regenerate the softener, so you don’t forget and waste salt and resin.
Q: What is the difference between a salt-free and salt-based water softener?
A salt-free water softener uses resin to remove hardness minerals from the water and is compatible with small spaces.
They require electricity to operate and must be regenerated when full of contaminants; flow regeneration requires you to drain all water.
Salt-based systems use salt, which needs regular replacement; an indicator light on some models can automate this cycle.
Q: How often should I regenerate the resin in my salt-free water softener?
The frequency depends on how dirty your water is. If you have very hard water, you may need to regenerate it every day or two.
Q: How often should I replace the salt in my salt-based water softener?
Replacement frequency depends on how much your household uses softened water but usually occurs every few months.
Q: Can a water softener be installed anywhere in my house?
Yes, a water softener can be installed anywhere in your home as long as it is compatible with the plumbing system of that area.
You only need to consider if there are any areas where the water pressure might drop below what the softener needs before it works properly.
If this is the case, you will want to install the softener at an outlet with plenty of room for it and the pipes leading.
The installation process may vary depending on how old the plumbing is in your home.
Still, generally speaking, you hook up the supply line from the main valve to the softener and run a couple of extension hoses back to each fixture so they don’t get too complicated or dirty.
There are also many softeners explicitly designed for bathrooms and other places where low water pressure is standard.
These models usually come with dedicated lines and fittings, making them easier to install than regular ones.
Q: How do you know what size water softener you need?
You need to factor in the number of people using the water and the hardness of the water being used.
For example, if you have 3 people living in the house, your tap water is challenging (high mineral content).
Using it for drinking and cooking, you would probably need a large-capacity softener.
However, if you have 2 people in the house who drink bottled water and cook with treated tap water, you could get away with a smaller unit.
It’s really all about personal preference.
You can use this information to calculate roughly how much water you use per day.
Then add 20% extra for safety and adjust accordingly based on the estimated annual usage of your household.
If you are still unsure, you should ask your plumber to determine how much water is coming through your taps.
This way, you can make an informed decision on whether or not you need a larger or smaller water softener.
This guide has provided you with all the information to choose the best water softener for small spaces. So, you can easily define which is the best for you.
Your small space softener should have a high enough grain capacity to handle your household needs while still fitting in your home.
Be sure to check the water flow rate and salt use of any potential purchase.
Was this article helpful? Please leave a comment.