Brita pitcher is a perfect combination with many parts like a filter, indicator, reservoir, lid, etc.
The filters and indicators are the most essential parts of the pitcher.
Your water filtration capacity will badly affect if the Brita water filter pitcher or electronic sensor doesn’t work well.
According to CDC.GOV approximately 7.2 million US citizens get sick every year from diseases spread through unclean water.
So, it is essential to know the filter is working well and producing clean water.
But, many of us have to face trouble with indicators during resetting, selecting mode, understanding the light signs, indicator status, etc.
We researched in depth and provided a complete solution related to the Brita filter indicator to improve your filter’s overall performance.
How does the Brita filter indicator work?
Before knowing about the Brita filter indicator, you need to know the meaning of color light?
The three colors light show:
- Green: The indicator shows a green light when you replace the old filter with a new one. It shows that you are getting pure and safe drinking water.
- Yellow/Amber: The yellow or amber color light means your filter life is about to end. Although the filter produces clean bottled water through.
- Red: The Red light indicator informs you to replace your old filter. Note that the filter can produce water, But we don’t advise consuming it.
Brita water pitcher and dispenser uses four types of filter change indicators.
You can find yours from the given types:-
- Water Filter Pitchers with Max Fill Line
- Water Filter Pitchers without Max Fill Line
- Sticker Filter Indicator
- Brita Smart Light Indicators
1. Understand Brita indicator work with max fill line
There are a few things:
First, it will take some time for the indicator to work continuously – this could range from 5 to 8 seconds. The indicator tracks how many times you fill the reservoir.
Second, the indicator blinks green continuously to show the filter status is fresh.
Third, you’ll want to pay attention to when the red light comes on; your filter has reached its maximum lifespan and needs replacement.
2. Understand Brita Indicator work without a max fill line
This Brita filter indicator lets you know the replacement time of the filter. But, without a max fill line, the activation process looks different.
This indicator also counts the number of poured; the mechanism activates and measures the amount of water.
The indicator blinks green when the filter is functioning normally, and a blinking red shows it’s time to replace it.
Both filters with or without lines are the same as Standard (white) or Longlast (blue) filters.
3. Understand Brita Sticker Filter Indicator work
Instead of an electronic indicator, it works differently to calculate.
Where other indicators calculate by themselves, it is just a sticker you need to figure the filter replace time.
There are two columns on the indicator first is the new filter month, and the second is the replacement month.
You can quickly know the time for a new filter. Generally, it is based on measuring approximately 11 glasses per household daily.
4. Understand Brita Smart Light Indicator work
The smart lights indicator uses three different lights to show the status of the filter, which is a quick and easy way to calculate the filter’s life status.
The intelligent mechanism tracks the time and volume of water flow out of the pitcher or dispenser.
When the green indicator light blinks three times, the filter functions well.
The filter will need replacement soon when the yellow light blinks three times.
When the red light flashes six times, it is time to change the filter.
If you want great-tasting water quality directly from your tap, then a Brita faucet filter is the better option.
Choosing the best water filter jug according to your need is challenging.
But don’t worry, we have a great list of Top 10 Best Drinking Water Pitcher and Dispensers selected by different work capacities from various categories.
How long do Brita water filters last?
Change the filter on time and get the filtered water regularly.
It is most important to know the accurate time of the replacement filter.
It may be different for different filters.
You can know the time according to your filter given below:-
- Brita Standard Filter: Replace after 40 gallons or after 2 months. It can save our environment by replacing 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles within a year.
- Brita Longlast Filter: Replace the filter cartridge after 120 gallons or after 6 months which is more effective than the PUR filter and Zero water filtration.
- Brita Stream Filter: Install a new filter after 40 gallons of drinking water or after 2 months.
Further explained in this table:
|Brita Pitcher and Dispenser Filters|
|Standard Filter -(White)||2 months||40 gal.|
|Longlast Filter -(Blue)||6 months||120 gal.|
|Stream Filter -(Gray)||2 months||40 gal.|
|Faucet Filters and Bottle Filters|
|Bottle Filter||2 months||40 gal.|
|Faucet Filter Model (SAFF-100)||4 months||100 gal.|
|Faucet Filter Model (FF-100)||4 months||100 gal.|
|Faucet Filter Model (OPFF-100)||4 months||94 gal.|
How to reset the indicator for Brita Standard filter?
The standard filter is effective in reducing mercury, Zink, chlorine, asbestos, benzene contaminant, metals, and lead.
After your filter’s life ends, you need to change the old filter with a new one according to your requirements.
If you have decided to replace it with Brita standard filter, you can follow these indicator instructions.
1. Reset Brita filter indicator:- Firstly, you reset the indicator by pressing the STATUS button.
The pressing time is different with both filters. If you use Brita’s standard filter, hold down the STATUS button for 2 seconds, then release it.
All lights start blinking simultaneously twice. After the green light next to the standard filter, blink three times to show STANDARD FILTER status.
The green light indicates the standard filter is installed and needs to change after completing 40 gallons.
2. Somehow, if an incorrect mode is activated, you can repeat step 1 until you activate the correct filter mode according to the installed filter.
3. The Brita filter indicator will constantly blink after every reservoir filling and close the lid.
Blinking shows the filter’s status that it is ok and working well.
4. Even you can get the current status of your installed dispenser filter whenever you want.
You only need to press the STATUS button for only 1 second and release it.
The indicator light will start replying according to your filter status within 1 second.
5. When your filter needs to change, the red light next to REPLACE will flash. It shows your old filter needs to replace with a new one.
Install the new Brita water filter and reset the filter change indicator according to (step 1).
You can also follow these steps with Brita stream filter replacement.
Further, explain in this video
How to reset the indicator for Brita Longlast water filter?
The longlast uses ion exchange technology that is effective in chlorine, mercury, asbestos, benzene contaminant, and lead reduction.
The instructions are a little different for Brita’s longlast filter.
You can follow these steps to get perfect results with your best hard water filter jug.
1. You must reset the Brita filter indicator by pressing a STATUS button.
With the longlast filter, press the STATUS button for 6 seconds.
Do not release the STATUS button until the green light blinks three times next to the filter.
It shows that the longlast mode is activated, and you will get 120-gallon drinking water which is more effective than PUR and Zero water.
2. If you mistakenly activate the wrong mode, you can set it again according to step 1 above.
You can repeat it until the activation of the correct filter mode for your longlast filter.
3. Brita indicator light will blink when you close the lid and after the water filter finishes its work.
The indicator does excellent work to calculate the Brita filter replacement time.
4. You can get your filter life status any time correctly, press the Status button for 1 second and release it.
The electronic indicator will indicate the correct light for 1 second to show the current Brita filter status.
If your dispenser filter needs to be changed, the red light next to REPLACE will start blinking.
Replace the old Brita filter with longlast and set the indicator according to the filter to get excellent work.
How to reset the indicator for Brita Stream Filter?
You must reset your Brita filter indicator each time you replace your filter.
It is essential for better performance with clean filtered water production.
You need to take these simple steps to set the indicator:
- Replace the old stream filter with a new one.
- You need to press and hold the indicator STATUS button for 6 seconds. Green, red, and yellow lights will blink simultaneously.
- When only the green light blinks, release the STATUS button.
- Open the lid and fill the pitcher with tap water.
- Close the Fill Lid and wait to pass the cold water from the filter.
- You can check the filter life status by pressing the STATUS button for 1 second. The Brita filter indicator light will flash green, yellow, or red, showing the current filter life status.
- You can also notice the status light blinking when you pour water from the pitcher.
- The indicator blinks yellow light when 25% of filter life remains. It means you need to replace the pitcher filter soon.
Tips for accurate tracking:
- Open the lid, always fill the reservoir with tap water to the max filling line, and close the lid.
- Ensure the lid is open for more than five seconds only when filling the reservoir.
- Wait until the reservoir is empty before refilling. It helps the Brita filter indicator to calculate an accurate number of fillings.
How do Brita water filters work?
Brita Water Filters are the most popular water filter brand in America and for a good reason. They’re affordable, easy to use, and effectively remove impurities from your drinking water.
But what exactly is a Brita water filter? How does it work?
A Brita filter works by trapping particles in tiny pores within the filter itself.
The filter has a small hole in its center where water flows through, which allows water to flow through and keeps larger particles trapped inside.
When you pour water, it passes through the filter, then used in your glass or bottled water.
The main benefit of using a Brita filter is that it removes chlorine and other contaminants from your water.
Chlorine can be found in many municipal water supplies.
This table shows the average life expectancy of a Brita filter for chlorine reduction. (swipe right to see all of the information).
|Level of chlorine in Parts Per Million||Standard Filter||Long Last Filter||Bottle Filter||Faucet Filter|
|0 – .5||40 Gal or 2 Months||120 Gal or 6 Months||40 Gal or 2 Months||100 Gal or 4 Months|
|.6 – 1.0||30 Gal or 6 Weeks||100 Gal or 5 Months||30 Gal or 6 Weeks||80 Gal or 3 Months|
|1.1 – 1.5||20 Gal or 1 Month||60 Gal or 3 Months||15 Gal or 3 Weeks||50 Gal or 2 Months|
|1.6 – 2.0||10 Gal or 2 Weeks||20 Gal or 1 Month||10 Gal or 2 Weeks||25 Gal or 1 Month|
Signs of Bad Brita Filter
Your Brita filter is bad when you notice these symptoms:
- Water appears cloudy or has a foul odor –
- Water does not taste or look clean
- Slow water flow
- Water is coming out dirty or rusty
- Slow water filtration
- Clog pitcher filter due to hard water contaminants
- Algae and mold growth in the filter
Tips for LAKE, METRO, and SOHO Water Filter Pitchers (Model OB58, OB11)
- In Lake, Metro & Soho Brita water pitcher, the indicator measures tap water when pouring in based on 8 fl. oz. pours.
- These filters are easy to fill the tap water. You need to keep the lid under the tap and fill the reservoir till the lid close.
- The light blinks after every pour to show the filter status when the green light indicates the filter is good.
Faq: How Does Brita Filter Indicator Work?
The longlast filter cartridge comes in blue color and has six months or 120 gallons of drinking water capacity; it is three times more than Brita’s standard filter.
Filter change indicator can’t track your Brita Longlife filter’s life if you purchased a tap water pitcher or dispenser before 2019.
You may think now that you have to purchase Brita smart pitcher having a supporting indicator with filter instructions.
But don’t worry; there is no need to invest extra money.
Here, we are giving solutions to some questions by which you can track your longlast filter status for better work with the old water jug indicator.
If your electronic indicator has Brita longlast option, you can easily track your longlast filter working life.
But, without this option, your indicator can track only the standard filter life.
Don’t worry, Brita can solve this problem. You can set a filter change reminder by signing up on the Brita website.
Brita will remind you by email so it is easy to know the time of the replacement filter.
Suppose your Brita pitcher and dispenser have a sticker indicator. In that case, you can easily track the longlast filter life with better task performance.
For the longlast, place the sticker on top of the six months after you replace your filter.
For example, if you replace the filter in January. Then set the left side of the sticker over January.
To know the Brita filter replacement time. Set the right side of the sticker indicator diagonally over June.
It helps to remind you to change your longlast filter in June.
You can also sign up for personalized filter change reminder emails to know when to replace the filter.
It is my view and your choice to apply or not.
If your cold water jug is older than 2019, it may have an indicator with only a standard filter option.
You can track Brita longlast filter working life with this old indicator. You may apply a little trick.
As you know, Brita longlast has a life three times longer than a standard filter.
Standard– 40 gallon – 2 months
Longlast– 120 gallon – 6 months
So, you must set your indicator as the standard filter 3 times during 6 months.
You can complete 3 standard filter life with 1 longlast filter.
After filtering for weeks, your pitcher may have black carbon particles at the bottom. That is normal with older filters.
Brita faucet filter is the better option for excellent tasting water quality direct from your kitchen tap.
Avoid dishwasher to clean Brita pitcher and dispenser. They are not dishwasher safe.
But you can use Brita water bottles with dishwashers except for the stainless steel model.
Always keep in mind that you should remove filters before washing.
If your Brita filter indicator light is not working, then you need to try it reset.
Press the STATUS button for 2 seconds for your standard filter or press for 2 seconds for your longlast filter and release.
First, all lights blink simultaneously two times, and then the green light next to the STANDARD FILTER/LONGLAST FILTER blink 3 times.
It means your indicator mode is active according to your filter.
If you are a Brita user, you need to know about the work of the Brita water filter pitcher and indicator.
By this, you can find the correct cause behind any trouble related to filtering and save your money and time.
I hope this information will help you to know more about the Brita water filter indicator and its function.
You want to improve something in my information.
So, please let me know……..